Friday, September 4, 2009

Jingle Butt


Friends. How could we manage without them?
I am blessed in so many ways with friends that touch my soul.

"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out."


Take today for example. When things don't make perfect sense and the world is uncertain, friends come into your life to remind you of what's good. When the mind is frazzled and the edge of reality blurred friends come in and clear the confusion.
I have many friends who do this for me. Friends who will listen to me for hours, let me vent till I'm out of breath, tell me reality even though I don't want to hear it.
One such friend is my friend Kristin. We met at my very first television job in Duluth, Minnesota. I was a struggling reporter who could barely get out a sentence and she was a photographer who always made me laugh. When work got out of hand and too stressful, we headed to the local bars and laughed and joked till nothing at work really seemed to matter much anymore. When I did live shots in the frigid Minnesota temps and my lips turned blue from the cold, I could always look forward to hanging out with her later and forgetting all about the days struggles.

We have kept in touch all these years. Even as I got a job in Anchorage and moved far away we still kept in touch. I was thrilled when I found out she had gotten her dream job as a producer at KARE-11 news. The station she had watched as a child. We always joked about how one day we would work at the same station again. She talking through my IFB as I sat on the Anchor desk. We have our own inside jokes and we always get together for Chicken Tendermelts from Perkins whenever I go home to Minnesota.

This morning as we chatted through facebook we weren't joking around as usual. I hadn't had the best day and she is recovering from the death of one of her closest friends.

As I was confiding in her, her words were just what I needed to hear. Assuring, Positive, and most of all true. The best part is knowing that what she says comes from the heart.

I left the conversation with a smile on my face.

A couple of hours later she sent me a text to make sure I was doing okay, then she followed up with a message on facebook and she keeps keeping tabs to make sure I am surviving.

People pay thousands of dollars a year on therapy when one friend can make your heart smile for free. Thank you Jingle. You are truly the best.

2 comments:

  1. Jingle this brought a tear to my eye. I remember when we meet. It was Oct 4, 2004, I was stopping by KDLH to talk to Dave Stokes. You were sitting at your desk. Being new to town I asked you where East Superior Street was. Even though it was just a few blocks from the station. It was a brief meeting. But we've had a lots and lots of good times since then. And some not so good times either thats made us stronger. You're always there for me. And you can trust i'll always be there for you. Anytime, anywhere, about anything. Love you so much jinglebutt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friends are the best. Sometimes it takes a while to figure out who's a true friend, but once you get through that... you'll see some friendships that last forever. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete