Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Love you Nani



Everyone remembers where they were when 9/11 happened and I will always remember the moments of learning about my dearly loved grandmothers death.

It was friday night and I had just gotten home from work. I was bustling around in a good mood since it was Friday and then I checked my phone. My little brother had left me several messages telling me to call him right away...that is how I found out.

I sat in shock for several moments and then the tears came. My nani was a big part of my childhood and the only grandparent I was ever close to. She lived with us for several months and years in Minnesota and I have so many fond memories of her. She was hilarious! Joking and laughing in punjabi about things that were as X-rated as you could imagine and I cannot think of a single person who did not love her instantly when meeting her. She was close to my best friend Pam and even my friends who couldn't speak her language loved her. She had a presence that was larger than she was. She survived many things including losing her daughter a couple of years ago and surviving stomach cancer. We had many long talks together about life and she was there when I needed her most.

She used to call me "thee" which in punjabi means daughter and loved old songs and movies. She was an amazing person..she got married at the age of 13 and went through so many things.

I have a picture in my apartment of the two of us together that I will always cherish. I love you and miss you nani...thank you for all the good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment