Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A BOOK to make you smile and A MOVIE that will make you THINK

I want to tell you about two little nuggets that made me smile. One is a book and one is a movie --both can be very useful and inspiring, at least they were for me.



I checked out the book, "Happy for No Reason" by Marci Shimoff a couple of weeks ago. The book is a conglomeration of all different theories and ways one can be happy. Did you know researchers have found out that everyone has a set happy point that is determined by genetics? Scientists have found that everyone returns to that point eventually despite whatever situations they go through in life-even severe car crashes and paralyzing injuries. The only exception to this is the death of a spouse which can take longer to recover from. The book is more of a workbook with different ideas about happiness. I Loved it. Marci writes with clarity and purpose and she sprinkles stories throughout of people who have overcome challenges and found a way to be happy. I found it really put things in perspective for me and I Loved loved loved it!



Now onto the second one, yesterday I had two separate friends text me the same text within the span of one hour. They both told me to watch the movie "Eat Pray Love". I have not watched a movie by myself in nearly a year and a half but, I thought, why not? (sidenote** how strange is life sometimes? Why would two friends of mine text me at nearly the same time to tell me about a movie that has been out on video for nearly a month? Another mystery of the world that I wonder about)

I figured it was a sign and stopped at the redbox on the way home. What a wonderful uplifting movie it was. I laughed, I cried but, mostly I reflected. Julia Roberts ends her marriage and decides to go visit three separate countries in her quest to find herself. I think it would be wonderful to just pack a couple of bags and take off for awhile. The movie made me think about my own life and all the places I have lived and times I have been alone. I feel a calm inner strength knowing that I have done so many things and survived so many challenges by myself. Had I never moved to Eugene, I would have never gotten to the point of spirituality that I feel now. Everyday I learn more about happiness, self love and asking the Universe to guide me in what I want and need.

Signs are everywhere...what are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment