Monday, October 11, 2010

Egyptian Wedding Fun

What a lovely weekend I had. I was able to take part in a beautiful Egyptian wedding of a close friend and had a wonderful time celebrating with close friends. The wedding was at the Oregon Garden Resort in Silverton which is about an hour and a half drive from Eugene. The wedding was a mix of two different unique cultures. All the meat was Zabiha Halal meat while they also served alcohol. Complete opposites in our culture and faith. I also got to see a wonderful friend Sabine Baji who I have not seen in a very long time...with her three beautiful children whom I adore. I thought long and hard about what to wear and settled on a red dress that I adorned with Pakistani cultural jewelery.



Another cool thing about the wedding? The photo booth! My friend Shenah and I went in and took a bunch of cool pictures with the props that were on hand. We had a blast.



At the end of the night, the bride surprised the groom by inviting a band to come out and play that mimicked Prince (or the artist formerly known as ) :) The wedding was a much needed event for me. I miss my culture daily and it's hard to feel as though I have it when I am in Eugene and not around it much. In Minnesota, I would go to weddings all the time and be around Pakistani food and music and people. Here it is much harder but, I am lucky to have friends that offer a chance to be around it from time to time.

It was a wonderful mix of cultures and I feel blessed to have been a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment