Thursday, August 26, 2010

Small Towns Can Feel So Big



I have always been facinated by small towns. The culture, the people, the tiny little gas station that sells homemade fried chicken. In small towns is a certain magic. I always have a million questions. Does everyone know everyone? Where do people go to shop? What about community gatherings and town hall meetings. I want to know everything! If I had unlimited amounts of money, I would travel from small town to small town spending a couple months in places and learning about the people. I would have tea with the town barber and then go drink a beer with the owner of the towns only restaurant. In small towns one person can make a big difference. I found this to be true when I moved to Anchorage, Alaska. Now Anchorage is certainly NOT a small town but when you consider the Muslim population it was teeny tiny compared to the thousands of Muslims I grew up with in Minnesota. I found that I could make a huge difference by implementing little things. If I wanted to plan a party or do something different at the local Mosque, I had that power. Same goes with in Eugene, it's a very good feeling.

This weekend I am going to Mosier which is another small town in Oregon I am facinated with. Mosier has a population of 421 people. Mosier is situated between The Dalles and Hood River in Oregon's stunning Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. Mosier is just 65 easy miles east of Portland on Interstate 84.

It's a beautiful area full of trees and water from almost every view. The town consists of a small library (look for hours which change weekly posted on the door) "The Good River" restaurant (a hearty burger restaurant that serves up brews and more with outdoor seating) and a charachter rich bar called "The Thirsty Woman". You never quite know when the bar will be open but if you happen to be lucky enough to be one of it's patrons you will find the experience so down to earth that you might forget where you are. Rich music is played on the patio by anyone who happens to have a guitar handy while a colorful assortment of people, animals and children spread out on lawn chairs haphazardly spilling out onto the nearby street.



Inside the brews are cold and the service warm. Rich wood paneling and board games from the 80's can be found inside along with Missing Pet posters and advertisements for local events. It's a small slice of America tucked into the tiniest of places but, somehow the feel of it is so entirely big that you could get lost. It's surreal really. Probably not for many people who are used to it but, this big city girl who has found herself wandering from place to place and job to job...finds it humbling. It feels a big like home. I think I could live in a small town. It's all about finding happiness right? Big city lights or your neighbor who knows more about you than your own mothers.
Home is home.

No comments:

Post a Comment