Monday, September 13, 2010

Eid 2010


Eid has come and gone and again I am amazed by how quickly this year is flying by. Just last week I was feeling a little upset that I wouldn't have anywhere to go on Eid and quite the opposite turned out to be true. I had a wonderful day full of friendship and love.

The day started out with the Eid prayer at the Abu Bakr Al Siddiq Mosque here in Eugene. It's basically a converted house with seperate sections for men and women. As soon as I walked in I saw several people who I had not seen in a long time as well as some new faces. We all lined up in rows for the Namaaz. After the Eid Namaaz is a special Takbeer which is basically a recitation of parts of the Quran along with a speech on Eid. It was so hard to hear what the Imam was saying because the speaker in the womens section was spotty and so everything came out cackly and convuluted :)

After the Takbeer loads of food was brought into the womens section. Everything from baklava to delicious pastries and coffee. After all people have been fasting for 30 days and this celebration is all about the FOOD!

Everyone ate and socialized and laughed. It really was heartwarming to be around fellow Muslims and take part in such a joy-filled occasion.

A friend of mine, Alia and I decided to meet for lunch in a couple of hours at the local Chilis restaurant so I went home and changed and met her and some other friends for lunch. I really was feeling on top of the world surrounded by good friends and having the day off to boot! I also talked with my family back in Minnesota as they were enjoying Eid as well. The Muslim population in Minnesota is huge and they were having a blast with friends that they have known for years.



After lunch it was off to the grocery store to load up on items for a special dinner I was making. With red potatoes, beef tips, yogurt, and spices you can make an INCREDIBLE curry dish called Aloo Goshth.
I got all the stuff and came home and started cooking. I could literally spend hours listening to music and cooking something delicious and cleaning house. Something is just so relaxing about it!



I also made some Saffron rice with vegetables to go with the dish. It all turned out delicious!

Though I didn't expect to get anything for Eid I got some wonderfully sweet presents from Trinidad! I was touched beyond belief that he thought about me on my special day. I feel blessed. Overall, Eid this year was beyond my expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment