Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Joys of Food


Why oh why oh why does food have to taste so damn good? Honestly if we could get all of our nutritional needs met by taking one pill a day and never have to worry about the choices and the preparation and the guilt and pure pleasure of food ..Life would be a far simpler place.
Simpler? Of course but, satisfying probably not.

Compared to most people I do not eat very much ..At least not during the week. My meals usually consist of the following Monday through Friday

AM water after my run and coffee with cream around 11 or so.

2:15PM Arrive at work

2:30PM stomach starts grumbling and I start obsessing over what to eat.

3:00PM Afternoon meeting, reporter and other producer discussing ideas. Me, thinking about food and wondering if my food drawer contains anything exciting

3:30PM Heating up a can of soup in employee break room. I literally live on cans of soup during the week. They are quick and easy and normally quite filling. My favorite these days are the Select Harvest soups by Campbells. The Tomato Bisque is to die for especially when you add a generous helping of Tapatio (and I mean a generous, generous helping)



4:30PM Looking around for other bites to snack on. Usually end up eating more than my fair share of croutons, which means almost the entire bag if I am not careful

4:35PM Realize I have almost finished the bag. Quickly put it away and look around nervously to make sure nobody else saw me scarfing down in quick succession.

6:30 Record FOX promos

6:45PM Finally time for my one major main meal of the day! This usually consists of a bag of salad that I purchased that morning, a bottle of low calorie salad dressing and the rest of the croutons from the bag. I pair it with green tea and am one happy camper.



I am usually good then till the newscast with a couple more cups of green tea to get me through but, it's the AFTER the news that gets me every single time. I am always starving by the time I am driving home. Granted it's because I haven't eaten for about 4 hours and it's natural that I would be hungry. It doesn't help that the ever so tempting burrito filled taco heaven of a place known as Taco Bell is directly on my way home!
Oh God.

I admit I will stop there 1 or 2 times a week and get something for late night munchies. I know your not supposed to eat that late but, sometimes you just cannot help it!



It may not seem like it but, I more than make up for it over the weekend. What can i say I like to eat! And a lot of the time it's fast food or grilling steaks or making pasta at home. Food is such a big part of our lives and such a big part of every single culture. Can you imagine being without it.

I remember when I was on the water fast for 5 days and how strange it felt to not be eating. It wasn't even that I felt that hungry it was more that I had no idea how to pass my time. Most of us look forward to our next meal or grabbing coffee or making that sandwich but, when that was taken away from me I had to find other ways to pass that time.

What is your favorite thing to eat? What would be hardest food to live without?

No comments:

Post a Comment