Friday, September 17, 2010

Perspective...Pass it on



I am surrounding myself with inspiration. And it seems that ever since I decided I wanted more in my life, it comes to me. Just today, the 11pm producer sent me a link on youtube to listen to the amazing "Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch. He was a professor at Carnegie Mellon University and also an amazing speaker. He speaks with humor about the fact that he has mere months to live. His attitude is unbelievable. How do people when faced with the greatest of hardships manage to see the light? What amazing strength of spirit. And yet I sit here and find hardships in my day to day life. I sit here and say, "I cannot overcome this" and it's something so minor.



Randy holds up a picture of his family in one of his very last speeches and introduces his children one by one. They are all under the age of 5. Then he introduces his wife and he says with humor and a smile, "Here is my widow"...and he literally beams with the assurance that everything is going to be okay.

I admire him for his courage. Perpective...pass it on.

I am also reading a book called, "Heart Broken Open" It's a memoir by Kristine Carlson. She is the widow of the late Richard Carlson who wrote the book "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff" It is her journey of grief. Her journey from learning of her husbands death to telling her two teenage daughters to going through the gut-wrenching grief process to finally accepting and embracing the pain that comes with loss.



These are all stories of such courage. How will you handle what comes your way? What legacy will you leave on this earth? Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment